Monday, April 26, 2010

The Scarlet Pimpernel, or THERE'S MORE!?!

As anyone who has ever read it must know, the Scarlet Pimpernel is one of the most wonderful books ever written. I really do love it, and if you haven't read it you should. Unless, of course, there is not a romantic bone in your body, in which case I don't know what you are doing listening to me.

But even if you know the book (or one of any number of film adaptations, but I promise the book is worth it), you may not have realized that there are several other books. Yes, it is, in fact, a SERIES. Super exciting, no?

See? This is an illustration from a later book, the Elusive Pimpernel. Proof!I have actually know this for a long time. My father used to point it out. I am confident that somewhere in our house, we have all these books. But since our house is full of books and treasures, I have never found them. And since they are not very well known, they are not easy books to find. So imagine my delight when I found this. That's right, the second book. Thank you, internet.

Although I am itching to read it, I have way too much reading for school to do. And I am technically in the middle of a couple of other books. I wish I had more time for reading, right now and in general, but college is cramping my style, if you will. It doesn't seem right that I would read less in college, does it? Ah well. I'll read this sometime in the summer, and let you know if it is just as wonderful as the original.

1 comment:

  1. Have you, by any chance, ever watched anything by the Takarazuka Revue? They are an all female musical revue group in Japan that performs many Western musicals with absolutely fabulous costumes. The first show that I saw (via DVD) of theirs was actually The Scarlet Pimpernel, and it inspired me to get the American soundtrack and read the original book.
    Here's a preview clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ51pLTMNao
    (They are also famous for their performances of Elisabeth!!)
    Forever, J

    ReplyDelete